Dublin - Wiki
- it is in the province of Leinster and the Eastern and Midland Region encompasses a land area of approximately 117.8 square kilometers (45.5 sq mi)
- It is bordered on the south by the Dublin Mountains, a part of the Wicklow Mountains range
- At the 2016 census, it had an urban area population of 1,173,179. The population of the Greater Dublin Area was 1,904,806
- Dublin originated, with a settlement established by the Gaels during or before the 7th century CE, and a second, Viking, settlement, following. As the small Kingdom of Dublin.
- The city expanded rapidly from the 17th century and was briefly the second largest city in the British Empire after the Acts of Union in 1800
- Dublin meaning "black, dark", and lind ([lʲiɲ(d̪ʲ)]) "pool", referring to a dark tidal pool. This tidal pool was located where the River Poddle entered the Liffey, on the site of the castle gardens at the rear of Dublin Castle.
- The area of Dublin Bay has been inhabited by humans since prehistoric times. Human habitation as far back as 6,000 years ago while further traps were also discovered closer to the old settlement of the city of Dublin on the south quays near St. James's Gate which also indicate mesolithic human activity.
- Irish government recognised 988 as the year in which the city was settled. It is now thought the Viking settlement of about 841 was preceded by a Christian ecclesiastical settlement known as Duibhlinn, from which Dyflin took its name.
Places to visit:
- Alternatively titled the Monument of Light or known as a symbol of the city.
- Stainless steel 120m high and 3m in diameter at the base
- The first section was installed on 18 December 2002 then final part 2003.
- At dusk, the base of the monument is lit and the top 10 m (33 ft) is illuminated through 11,884 holes through which light-emitting diodes shine.
- Nelson's Pillar stood on the site of the Spire until it was destroyed by a bomb in 1966 by former IRA members.
- It has inspired a number of nicknames, as is common with public art in Dublin, including the nail in the Pale, the stiletto in the ghetto, the pin in the bin, the stiffy by the Liffey, the spire in the mire, or the spike.
- Temple Bar is a busy riverside neighbourhood, spread over cobbled pedestrian lanes. Crowded pubs host live folk music and DJ sets, and diners pack restaurants serving Asian, American and Irish cuisine. Quirky boutiques stock clothes and crafts by local designers.
- It is promoted as Dublin's 'cultural quarter' and, as a centre of Dublin's city centre's nightlife.
- In 1999, "stag parties" and "hen nights" were supposedly banned (or discouraged) from Temple Bar, mainly due to drunken loutish behaviour, although this seems to have lapsed.
- Connoisseur Bar experience - Website
- The Storehouse covers seven floors surrounding a glass atrium shaped in the form of a pint of Guinness
- The seventh floor houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors may drink a pint of Guinness included in the price of admission.
- constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James's Gate Brewery
- In 1997, it was decided to convert the building into the Guinness Storehouse, replacing the Guinness Hop Store as the Brewery's visitor center
- Arthur Guinness signed a 9000 year lease for the property in 1759 £45 per year
- In the Perfect Pint bar, visitors may pour their own pint of Guinness and even get their selfie printed on top of a pint.
- Bridge is supported by 31 cables also capable of opening through an angle of 90 degrees allowing ships to pass through
- The bridge, which cost €60 million, is named for Irish writer Samuel Beckett.
- It was officially opened to pedestrians on 10 December 2009
- Is a pedestrian bridge built in May 1816 over the River Liffey
- Originally called the Wellington Bridge (after the Dublin-born Duke of Wellington), the name of the bridge changed to Liffey Bridge. The Liffey Bridge remains the bridge's official name to this day.
- Before the Ha'penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a ha'penny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years.
- Initially the toll charge was based not on the cost of construction, but to match the charges levied by the ferries it replaced.
- In 2012, citing a maintenance and damage risk, Dublin City Council removed a number of love locks
- 2013 the council removed over 300kg of locks from the bridge
Accommodation Stayed at:
Phoenix Park - Location
The Little Museum of Dublin - Location
The Book of Kells - Location
Dublin Castle - Location
GPO Museum - Location
St Stephen's Green - Location
The National Wax Museum Plus - Location
National Leprechaun Museum - Location
National Gallery of Ireland - Location
The Irish Whiskey Museum - Location
The Old Jameson Distillery - Location
Molly Malone Statue - Location
- Bronze statue of a fictional fishmonger named Molly Malone, the star of a well-known Irish song.
Millennium Bridge - Location
Coffee ☕ (Next time)
3FE - Location
The Fumbally - Location
Love Supreme Coffee - Location
Shoe Lane Coffee - Location
The Morning - Location
Two Pups - Location
Vice Coffee Inc - Location
Brother Hubbard - Location
Clement & Pekoe - Location
Joe's Coffee - Location
Kaph - Location
Proper Order Coffee Co - Location
Cocobrew - Location